The Cavaliers’ House (not open to the public) is situated west of the drive to the palace. It was originally designed as living quarters for the gardener but was then used for guests. Duke Alfred von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (r. 1893-1900), the second son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, died here on 30 July 1900. The building was radically altered in the 1950s and restored again in 2001 to bring it closer to its original appearance.
| top |