In 1817 a rock grotto was built on the east slope of the ridge that runs north from the palace hill.
At night, this romantic ravine was sometimes lit with coloured lampions.
Its source of water was the small “Princes’ Pond” above it, which was fed by rainwater. While there was usually only a trickle of water from the overflow, in heavy rain this became a torrent; this effect could also be created artificially by opening a sluice and emptying the pond.
| top |