The Swan Pond in the north part of the park was only created in 1826. It is fed solely by surface water from the small woodland area planted on a slight incline. Some of the oak trees that once formed a narrow avenue surrounding the lake have remained. The pond was named after the black swans, also known in German as “mourning swans”, that are originally from Australia and were introduced in England at the end of the 18th century. It was probably at the instigation of Queen Victoria that they were brought to Rosenau Park, to heighten the sentimental atmosphere of the place. Individual weeping willows were also planted near the shore to achieve the same effect.
| top |